It’s that time of year when there’s a crispness in the air, enough to take the chill out of your home. If you have a fireplace, you know how easy it is to get warm air circulating without having to turn on your heating system. However, a dirty fireplace can cause a lot of issues, and the best way to make sure your chimney and fireplace are ready for the season is to schedule your Design Air, Inc., technician. Now is a great time of year to get your fireplace ready for the upcoming cold weather. Why is this important? Here are some of the most common reasons:
- Correct drafting – your fireplace needs the right balance of air to keep a fire going. During an annual cleaning of your fireplace, your fireplace and chimney are inspected and cleaned, so any outstanding issues can be managed and dealt with.
- Your home’s insurance coverage – many home insurance policies require that an active fireplace be maintained annually to keep coverage in force.
- Reduce corrosion – the combustion byproducts from a fire, such as ash, soot and creosote, are very acidic. These materials can and will eat away at both the masonry and metal parts of your chimney and fireplace.
- Reduce the risk of a chimney fire – combustion byproducts, particularly creosote, are highly flammable. A layer of creosote thicker than 1/8” is enough to ignite, but annual cleaning removes the creosote from your chimney, reducing or even eliminating this risk.
- Detection of serious problems – during an annual cleaning, your fireplace and chimney will be closely inspected. Should a serious problem be found, such as broken tiles, etc., you’ll be alerted so that you don’t find out in the middle of using your fireplace.
Let us help you enjoy the crisp fall weather in Wyckoff, NJ by getting your fireplace ready for the season!