Your water heater is an important part of your home, and the last thing you want to see is a problem with it. Unfortunately, because most of them are tucked in out of the way in our Nanuet, NY homes, we usually don’t notice a problem until it’s too late. By then, repair might not even be an option. You may be forced to replace the unit instead.
The best way to avoid trouble like this is to combine a yearly maintenance visit from your plumbing expert with a periodic flushing of the unit every 2-3 months. You can accomplish this last part yourself, with just a length of hose and access to a drain. Conducting this easy task will seriously reduce wear and tear on the unit, helping it last longer and do its job more efficiently.
- Shut off the heat source to the water heater, then turn off the valve that leads to the main water line.
- Connect the hose to the main drain valve, and the other end of the hose to a drain or a bucket big enough to hold all of the water in the tank.
- Open the pressure relief valve and allow the water to drain out of the hose.
- When the water is 24% left, turn on the main water line and flush out the tank again. This will get rid of any sediment that remains in the bottom of the tank.
- When all the sediment is flushed, seal the pressure relief valve, then seal then drain valve, then allow the tank to refill.
- When the tank is fully, turn back on the burners and give the tank a few minutes to heat up.
For quality water heater maintenance from trained professionals, trust the team at Design Air, Inc. to do the job right every time!