Seeing any rust on your boiler isn’t a good thing, but it doesn’t necessarily dictate the need for replacement, either. Your boiler is made to be durable and has been built with safeguards to greatly reduce the development of rust. The biggest question to answer when it comes to rust on your boiler in Spring Valley is: where is the rust located? This is because some rusted components can be repaired and/or replaced, and others cannot. However, if you should see rust anywhere on your boiler, it is important to have a professional look at it as soon as possible to assess exactly what is happening. Design Air Inc, is here to help you with all of your heating repair needs, so if you see rust on your boiler in your Spring Valley home, call us today.
Problems That Can Be Caused by Rust
There are a couple of problems that can be caused by rust on your boiler:
- Development of leaks – we’ve all seen rust turn metal into oxidized crumbs, and this can happen to your boiler once rust takes hold. Like mold or mildew, once rust starts, it doesn’t stop until the rusted area is repaired or replaced. Weakened areas in your boiler cabinet can lead to leaks, which can affect the operation of your heating system and may possibly be dangerous. This is one of the reasons why it’s important to call for a technician as soon as you detect any rust on your boiler.
- Poor performance – rust can also develop on individual components, like the mounting plates. Many of these items can be replaced, but until they are, your heating system may perform poorly.
Do I Have to Replace My Boiler?
Now that you know how rust affects your boiler, here are some other items to consider before replacing:
- Age of your system – the average lifespan of a well-maintained boiler is 15-20 years. If your boiler is that age or older, and has significant rust, you may want to consider replacement.
- Number of repairs – have you had to make multiple repairs to your boiler, or are you facing multiple repairs? At some point, your money may be better spent on a replacement.
- Energy efficiency – how energy efficient is your current boiler? Today’s boilers are very energy efficient, so it may be worth reviewing how much a new one can save you in monthly energy costs versus your rusty one.
Rust on your boiler in Spring Valley isn’t necessarily a death sentence for your boiler, but at the least, it does call for professional care. If you have detected rust on your boiler, call Design Air Inc, and schedule an appointment with one of our experts.