Just about every home can benefit from knowing where energy loss is occurring. With an energy audit, you can find out this and more. Does your home need an energy audit? If you want to make your home as energy efficient as possible for the long-term, the answer is yes.
What Is an Energy Audit?
An energy audit, also called an energy assessment, is a multi-step process by which your energy usage is reviewed, assessed and analyzed. This is done in conjunction with conducting physical tests like the blower door test that help pinpoint areas of your home where you may be losing energy. So what happens during a home energy audit? Here’s a general overview:
- Analysis of last 12 months’ energy bills
- Thorough inspection of interior and exterior of home
- Health and safety inspection
- Assessment of electrical system
- Inspection of all combustion appliances
- Blower door test
- Written report of recommendations
Signs You May Need an Energy Audit
Not sure if your home needs an energy audit? Here are some signs that an energy audit would be a good choice for your home:
- The presence of mold or mildew
- Hot and cold spots
- Condensation on the inside of windows
- Formation of ice dams on your roof
Benefits of Scheduling a Home Energy Audit
- Greater energy efficiency – a home energy audit will pinpoint all the areas where you are losing energy efficiency and provide recommendations for repairing these problems. According to Energy.gov, a home energy audit can increase your home’s energy efficiency anywhere from 5-30%.
- Greater comfort – if your comfort has been affected by drafts and hot and cold spots, an energy audit can determine the source(s) of these problems and provide you with strategies and recommendations that can help eliminate these problems.
- Uncover hidden problems – the thorough inspection of a home energy audit can lead to the detection of problems you may not be aware of, and provide you with the opportunity to remedy them.
Heating and cooling costs can take up 40% of your home’s annual budget; with an energy audit in New City, you can have the opportunity to significantly reduce these costs. Call Design Air Inc today and schedule an appointment with one of our home energy experts.