Beware of Creosote Build-Up in Your Chimney

Beware of Creosote Build-Up in Your Chimney

If you have a fireplace in your Wycoff, NJ home, chances are you’ve already used it a few times this fall. Fireplaces are cozy and romantic and can make a great way for you to heat your home without costing you an arm and a leg. But like any other appliances, fireplaces must be maintained, lest their operation creates unexpected problems for your home. One of the biggest issues fireplace owners have to contend with is the build-up of creosote in the chimney, which can prove a stubborn irritant or even a threat if it persists long enough.

Our expert technicians are here for youSchedule Online Today

What Is It?

Creosote is a waxy build-up created by the ash and smoke of your fire. As those hot gasses move through the comparative cool of your chimney, they can condense and solidify along the walls. Unfortunately, when enough of that builds up — or worse when it mixes with things like birds’ nests and other detritus — it can start a chimney fire. Keeping your chimney clear of it is key to operating your fireplace safely.

What Causes It?

Creosote can be caused by a number of factors, including restricted airflow, unseasoned wood, and particularly cool temperatures in your chimney. You can counteract some of it by making sure the flue is wide open and using properly treated wood in your system. Sooner or later, however, the creosote will start to build up, which is why you need to schedule cleaning sessions on a regular basis — ideally every year before the heating season begins. That will clean up the creosote and remove a dangerous potential threat to your home.

If you haven’t had your fireplace serviced yet this year, now is the time to do so. Contact the professional services at Design Air, Inc. to schedule a session before the weather gets any cooler.