Whatever the time of year, maintaining the safety of your fireplace in Nanuet, NY home should be a high priority. Fire in the home is hazardous to the structural integrity of your house, your belongings, and, most importantly, your family. With proper installation and routine maintenance, you should be able to steer clear of many problems while you enjoy the comfort and warmth of your fireplace. In this post, we’d like to give you some tips about how to keep your fireplace safe.
- Routine professional inspection: Whatever type of fireplace you have in your home, you need to make sure that it is safe at all times. The best way to ensure this is to set up a professional annual inspection. A pro will check the levels of creosote in your chimney and recommend cleaning where necessary. He’ll also be able to take a close, detailed look at the masonry of your chimney.
- Keep the area surrounding your hearth clear of debris: This is especially important. While a well-designed and installed fireplace does everything it can to prevent fires in the home, all it takes is one misplaced spark on your living room carpet.
- Use a metal mesh screen: If you have an open hearth, make sure you use a metal mesh screen at all times. This is not a fail-safe option, and is not as safe as glass doors, but it is an important preventive measure.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire: This may seem like a no-brainer, but it bears repeating.
- Use appropriate fuel: Use seasoned hardwood. Soft and moist wood will only increase the levels of creosote in your chimney.
- Never leave a fire unattended: Enough said.
- Install a spark arrestor: A spark arrestor is a device used widely in various types of electrical and mechanical equipment. For present purposes, a spark arrestor is a device installed at the top of a flue that prevents floating embers from catching fire when they land on the roof or outside the home. This is a must-have if your chimney is near your neighbor’s property.
There are numerous further ways to keep your fireplace safe all year long. But we hope you find these helpful. For comprehensive Nanuet, NY fireplace services, call Design Air Inc. today!